Friday, June 10, 2011

Kids will be kids....right?

Today I've read an article about Suri Cruise (the daughter of Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise) that claims that she already has a $150,000.000 shoe collection. She's often photographed with her mother, using high heels and fur coats making her own mum (the adult) look more like a servant than anything else. She's also only 5. I not going to criticize a parent from giving her kid "everything she never had", specially since we are talking about a super Hollywood couple,however I can't help but think the amount of pressure that's not only in Suri but also in all the little kids who were not as lucky to be as rich as her.
When I was 5 I used to try everybody's shoes but my shoe collection was resumed to a pair of flip flops in the summer and a pair of sneakers in the winter. I was out playing all the time. I was a kid and even though we were in a really bad financial situation, I was happy. That was until I moved to middle school.
There everybody had a mobile, changed sneakers every 2/3 months and always had good clothes. My shoe collection, though, was still the same, had about three outfits that would wear all year round (track suits) and only had a mobile when I turned 18, that I've paid with my own summer money.
I was miserable, not because of my financial status, but because of all the pressure surrounding me to look good and well dressed. But my childhood, is still the sweetest memory that I have. I was a kid.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that the fact that this little girl is already on every media outlet and is considered a fashion icon at the age of 5 might be stealing her the joy of being a toddler and also putting extreme pressure on every 5 year old kid. Too soon for all that adult drama.
Let's let kids be kids, shall we ???

2 comments:

  1. I really emphasize with your point! Nowadays, I really feel that kids are not being kids. However, the definition is changing, I don't know any children who are content to just go outside and play until dinner. Kids nowadays care about their fashion, their cellphones.. kids are getting older, faster, as an entire generation. What it means to be a kid will be completely different than how we knew it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. Times have truly changed. When I was young we played and stayed outside! We didnt have the latest fashiom trends. You were ok in kmart kickers and no name brands. My family did not have all the riches to give us all the glamour but we were ok with that. Now, I have younger cousins that can not be caught alive wearing something from kmart and most of them had facebook pages before I did. Its a complete shame.

    ReplyDelete